Saturday, December 22, 2018

A Christmas Miracle!!

Daily Tip: I'm in love with the fuzzy slipper socks from Dollar Tree!  They work GREAT under your walker boot when you are in the stage where you are out of an ACE bandage but need cover. And they keep that foot warm in the winter!

So the bustle and hustle of the holidays delayed me a little from the blog, but I have awesome news to report!

I had my Week 5 doctor's appointment on Tuesday. I was a little nervous, because I've tried to follow all of my doctor's orders to a T.  Seriously hoping that means something!

I had x-rays at this appointment and it felt like forever before the doctor came in.  He sat down all serious, and said, "Well..." AHHHHH well, what?!

He told me that my x-rays were BEAUTIFUL. Everything is still exactly where it should be and that the foot was healing superbly. SO great in fact that the bone growth/fusion of the joint was presenting as if I were at Week 7 instead of Week 5!  The doctor seemed to think that my age and health, along with my dedicated use of the bone stimulator AND following all of the rules has lead to a swift and successful recovery.

I was ready to just ditch the scooter right then and there--but just to be cautious, he asked me to complete the week and would let me start walking at the beginning of Week 6. 
Guess what day that is....CHRISTMAS!!

Yes, folks, it's a Christmas miracle. I will be ditching the scooter and starting to weightbear 2 weeks early on Christmas day. It is the best gift ever.  I do have explicit instructions to ease into walking and if I do have some type of extensive plans with lots of standing and walking in the next week to definitely have the scooter as backup. I'm going to follow those instructions, too!!

Everything is else is progressing well, too. No actual pain to report other than some tenderness at the incision site, but my doctor says that is normal and part of the healing process. I continue to use the silicone scar strips for 14 hours/day and the bone stimulator for 2 20min treatments a day.  I'm also not elevating my foot while sleeping anymore unless it starts to feel tight during the night.  

I'm sure when weightbearing starts, there will be a whole new set of feelings and symptoms to report, but for now, I will enjoy this middle stage with minimal pain.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Waaaaaaalking!!

Well folks, the day I never thought would come....CAME! 9 weeks and 6 days to the day of my surgery, I reported to the doctor's office w...